African Rolls. (Vansh A. Gupta/Siliconeer)
It’s a quick and easy appetizer or snack that goes well with drinks or chai. Chef Sanjay Patelshows how you can make African Rolls in a jiffy.
- 1 lb. potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 tsp. salt + extra to taste
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour + extra for dusting
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups fine vermicelli
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1 cups coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 tbsp. cashew-nuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp. raisins
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup mixed vegetable
- salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients for the filling and keep aside.In a mixing bowl, add the mashed potatoes and stir in 1 tsp. salt and the flour. Knead into a soft dough. Grease your palms with oil and shape a small amount of the potato mixture into a flat, round cake. Repeat the process for the rest of the mixture.
Put about 2 tsp. of the filling in the center of each cake, roll into a ball, ensuring that the filling stays inside, and flatten then roll in fine vermicelli. Prepare the other patties similarly. Heat the oil in a pan, dust the patties with flour and then deep-fry on high heat till golden brown in color. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain the excess oil on kitchen towels. Serve with green chutney.